Bethany Cagnol is a proud member of the Télécom Paris Languages and Cultures Department. She provides consulting and training services at Télécom Paris in its transition towards English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI). She helps support its professors and researchers who wish to deliver their courses, publish articles, and/or give conference presentations in English. She specializes in the higher education sector and, in particular, communication skills for the scientific community, public speaking, language coaching and language skills assessments.
In her over 18 years of experience, she has been a project manager, business owner, and author of various educational publications. She has extensive experience working with professionals in both private and public sectors in order to help them improve their communication skills in English.
The language courses she has designed for Télécom Paris students include Public Speaking, Professional Communication, The World of Classical Music, Debating, and Managing Communication in an International Context.
Creation of MOOCs and Pedagogical Materials
- MOOC on Coursera: Promote your Scientific Results – 2021
Project Manager and co-author with Sinead Namur and Cécile Michaut,
Télécom Paris + IMT
- Co-author of Presentations B1 Course – 12 modules (British Council – Virtual Training Academy) – 2014
- Co-author with Ros Wright of English for Nursing 1 (Pearson Education) – 2012
- Co-author of English for Scientists Teachers’ Guide (Cambridge University Press) – 2010
- Cagnol, B & Hogan, M. 2014. How to survive in the freelance market: Part 6 – Dealing with difficulties and success. Oxford University Press – Teaching Adults April 2014 issue.
- Cagnol, B & Hogan, M. 2014. How to survive in the freelance market: Part 5 – Quality control and maintaining satisfied clients. Oxford University Press – Teaching Adults March 2014 issue.
- Cagnol, B & Hogan, M. 2014. How to survive in the freelance market: Part 4 – Pricing and billing advice. Oxford University Press – Teaching Adults February 2014 issue.
- Cagnol, B & Hogan, M. 2014. How to survive in the freelance market: Part 3 – Mapping out a sales and marketing strategy. Oxford University Press – Teaching Adults January 2014 issue.
- Cagnol, B & Hogan, M. 2013. How to survive in the freelance market: Part 2 – Writing a business plan.
Oxford University Press – Teaching Adults November 2013 issue
- Cagnol, B & Hogan, M. 2013. How to Survive in the Freelance Market: Part 1 – Getting Started. Oxford University Press – Teaching Adults September 2013 issue
- Cagnol, B & Wright, R. 2012. English for Nursing 1. Pearson Education.
- Cagnol, B. 2012. Comment assurer l’excellence dans la formation linguistique. Dans “L’étude de marché, la formation professionnelle linguistique, en France. Linguaid, nouvelle édition.
- Cagnol, B & Armer, T. 2011. English for Scientists Teacher’s Notes. Cambridge University Press.
- Cagnol, B. 2011. Conversion Competence in Interlanguage Progression. « Crosscurrents: Studies in English Linguistics ». Holy Cross University Periodical Publications.
- Cagnol, B. and Kawałek, J. 2011. Fundraising and Sponsorship. IATEFL Associates’ Handbook.
- Cagnol, B. and Kawałek, J. .2011. Community Outreach. IATEFL Associates’ Handbook.
- Cagnol, B. 2009. Opening the Door to ELF. IATEFL Cardiff Conference Selections.
Plenary Sessions and Conference Talks
- Captivate to Motivate – Plenary Speaker – 2018
BBELT, British Council. Mexico City, Mexico.
- An Introduction to Debating – 2016
Bydgoszcz, Poland. Invited lecturer for a 2-day seminar.
- The ELT Journey: From Charted to Uncharted – Plenary Speaker – 2013
IATEFL Hungary, Budapest.
- Life Skills for the Classroom – 2013 & 2010
IATEFL BESIG Webinar.
IATEFL Poland, Rzeszów, – Plenary Speaker
- Managing your Brand as a Trainer (with Mike Hogan) – 2013
IATEFL Liverpool, UK
Business English UK Conference, London
- Facilitating Fluency with Debating – 2012 & 2015
IATEFL Poland, Wrocław & IATEFL Poland Cracovie
- Comment assurer l’excellence dans la formation linguistique – 2012
Expolangues (Paris, France)
- Selling Yourself in the Changing ELT Market (with Mike Hogan) – 2011
TESOL France Strasbourg
- Ruling the Unruly: Classroom Management and Solutions – 2011
IATEFL Brighton, UK
- Filling the Gap: ESP Presentations – 2010
IATEFL Harrogate, UK, IATEFL Poland, Bydgoszcz et IATEFL BESIG Bielefeld, Germany
- English for the Performing Arts: Meeting the needs of the performer and the admirer – 2009 IATEFL Poland Poznan and 2nd English for Specific Purposes Conference (Ulm, Germany)
- I Speak ELF, EIL, WSSE and Offshore English – 2009
IATEFL Cardiff, UK
- Specific Purposes Activities from Scratch – 2008 + 2010
IATEFL Poland Łódź, Kielce and Rzeszów + IATEFL BESIG Bonn, Germany
- Conversion Competence in Interlanguage Progression. Conference: Language
Learning and Teaching in Multilingual and Multicultural Contexts, American University of Paris – 2007
- Cracking Down on Bad Tests – 2007
IATEFL BESIG Berlin, Germany